Saturday, August 22, 2009

Baaaaaaa


We have had one of our favorite days in New Zealand to date! This wasn't some expensive tourist trap or extreme adventure, just good old fellowship on some of our favorites people's farm; Ed and Nikki Shaw. These people are almost self-sustaining and have an amazing outlook on life. Think amish...just with electricity and a car... ok, maybe more like mennonite, but no need to get technical. Ed still does his work with his two bullocks, Henry and Blackie, not a tractor. He also makes his own guns, bows and arrows, knives, and anything else you can think of. Pretty much this would be the only person I would be worried about Drew leaving me for. Anyway, they have lots of animals... including sheep!! When we pulled up I was for sure this is where I would be able to accomplish the one thing I wanted most in life. Unfortunately, being self-sustaining also means eating meat that you have provided... put two and two together ... and the sheep don't exactly want to be your friends. Needless to say, I did NOT get to pet them. Sad day for me... even more sad for the sheep. So I guess getting to pet a baby sheep is going down the same drain as my dream to be a beach volleyball player. (Apparently I'm too short....and I'm also really bad at volleyball).

And I can't forget the "goat cart". Ed made (of course) a cart for one of the goats so his children could ride in it. It was a blast! And I think it might be a good solution to our economic problems. Goat's are pretty cheap to keep and don't require gas. Just something to keep in mind. Other then that we had some amazing food right out of the garden and some meat Ed hunted (of course). No lamb though!
Sorry if there are lots of mistakes in this blog. I'm watching the All Blacks vs. Wallabies game and I'm not a very good multitasker. As for the other blogs I really don't have an excuse.

2 comments:

  1. Sorry about the baby lambs...and I didn't know a thing about you wanting to be a beach volleyball player! The pictures are great, especially the one of you in the cart. Do we get to ride in a goat cart when we come? Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bonz! I am so proud of your blog! PS... I hope my most recent post doesn't make you too home sick... or do I?

    ReplyDelete