Thursday, August 6, 2009

Well after wondering around Pauline's house for a week and a half checking the snow report about as much as my mom checks her facebook feed, we learned that Rainbow ski field was finally open. So, we jumped in the car and headed up the mountain, chains and all.

Any time you might be traveling with Drew you always need to add in some extra time for scenic photography sessions. I appreciate this about him since I am what you would call a social photographer. Someone who only gets their camera out when everyone else is doing it. I still don't always make the effort to take the picture. I do however always have my camera with me. Luckily, Drew brought his camera on this journey and got a couple good pictures of some rainbows. I guess this is why it is called Rainbow Ski Field because we saw tons on rainbows on the way there. I have no idea why this place has so many rainbows (except for God of course!), but I spent most of my time looking for leprechauns which I decided will be the other team that plays the 1/2 blacks in my rugby game!

Once we got a good way up the mountain I became very aware of the fact that New Zealand has chosen against the idea of a guard rail. I'm not sure if this has something to do with the fact they are called the adventure capitol of the world, but at this death defying moment in my life I became very grateful for America and their desire to keep their drivers on the road. But in the end it was all worth it! We drove at about 2 mph up to a little winter wonderland in the middle of the mountains. It was defiantly the best snowboarding we have ever experienced! I did not plan to mention this next part for fear of never wanting to show my face again, but for the sake of your amusement I will make an exception. Whatever the reason was that NZ decided not to put up guard rails, it must be the same reason that they do not have chair lifts. At least not where we were. They have something I assume they use as birth control for their snowboarders because it is a metal bar you put between your legs and it drags you up the mountain. This is not a joke. I unfortunatly had quite a hard this with this concept and fell a lot. I also am now baren because of it. Was it all worth it? I think so...

Kiwi Fun Fact: the switches here are opposite... Down is on and up is off.




3 comments:

  1. You are so funny. The only reason I am your mom is so that you will have someone to take potshots at in your blogs! But I don't care...as long as you blog! Sounds like a great snowboarding experience, in spite of the lifts (I was hoping for a grandchild eventually). Keep writing! Avoid the edges of the road!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bonni... I might or might not have pee'd my pants when I read this.

    I miss your funny-ness IRL (blog world acronymn for "in real life"). I feel that you should start catching on with the Blog world slang... because you are officially a blogger.

    Just like there is different strokes for different folks... I guess there is different forms of birth control for different countries. Too bad that doesn't rhyme.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joy McDonald (Mother-in-law)September 14, 2009 at 8:07 PM

    Bonni....I have laughed out loud (lol?)reading about this journey the two of you are experiencing!...did Drew really speak spanish to the japanese guy? HA! I haven't figured out which "football" team you are rooting for...let me know. The pictures are great!!
    Especially for us-guys back home! love you!

    ReplyDelete